Freeze drying also known as lyophilization or cryodesiccation, is a dehydration process typically use to preserve perishable materials or make the material more convenient for storage.
Freeze drying process removes products moisture by freezing the material, and then reduce the surrounding pressure, proper add heat to allow the frozen water in the material to sublime directly from solid phase to gas.
Because during the dehydration process, materials temperature is always minus. So, freeze drying has less impact on product physical and chemical properties. Which result it works extremely well on almost all industries and fields.
Biological Freeze Drying
Pharmaceutical Freeze Drying
Pet Food Freeze Drying
Advantages of Freeze Drying:
Freeze drying technology used a lot in commercial and industrial areas, the most important advantages of freeze-drying are listed below:
- Minimum damage to the material. Specially fit heat sensitive product.
- The nutrition, taste, flavor and vitamins are remained.
- Keep product original structure. Porous and friable structures is created after water remove.
- Fast and complete rehydration guarantee.
- Easy storage and long shelf life. Dried product can store at room temperature, no need refrigeration. Shelf life more than 20 years.
- Freeze drying material not shrink or toughen.
- Freeze drying especially fit product that meets one or more of the following criteria:
- It is perishable or unstable.
- It is heat sensitive.
- Valuable product.
- Dried product needs quick and complete rehydration.
- Due to store or transport need, material needs light weight and accept a wide range of storage temperature.